Friday, January 30, 2009

Pippi

I found a puppy! Yes, a real live puppy. I was walking to campus, and from far away, I saw what I thought was a cat running across someone's yard. There are a lot of outdoor cats around here, so that wasn't unusual. When I got closer, though, I was confronted with a small, furry black puppy. I reached down to pet her, and she started whimpering. She wasn't wearing a collar, and she was skin and bones.



Someone else walked past, scaring her, and she darted under the nearest truck, which was parked in front of a house that is well-known for being...of ill repute, shall we say? As in, I wouldn't trust the people there to take responsible care of an animal, much less a defenseless puppy.

It took me forty-five minutes to lure her out from under the car, and involved: a banana, a sandwich, and half a package of deli turkey. Since she wasn't wearing a collar, and since no one seemed to be around to claim her, I took her home and fed her lots of peanut butter and snacks.



I wish I could have kept her, but student life isn't very conducive to caring for puppies. Pippi, as I named her, is currently residing at the no-kill animal shelter where I volunteer. Hopefully she'll find a loving home soon.

It's cold outside, everyone. Please, please take good care of your animals. If you find a stray, alert local animal control or the police, and if possible contact a local no-kill shelter so that they can try to get a hold of the animal and help it reach a good home.


More recipes soon, I promise.

2 comments:

The Blonde Duck said...

Awww! Why can't you keep her?

L said...

I would love to, but I don't have time to give her the training and attention that she deserves. As soon as I'm out of school, though, I'm going to have at least one dog...maybe two.